Configuration: As with all climbing walls, the 2/3 – 1/3 rule applies: 2/3 beginner-level to experienced (inclined, vertical or slightly angled) and 1/3 training and expert level (angled, overhang and roof).
It can also be specialised with only a bouldering wall.
Width: as wide as possible, as the width determines the number of active users. (1.20 m wide = one route for a climber/spotter pair). Provide angles and overhangs (1 m to 6 m for competitions). Provide an incline board and vertical sections for beginners.
Height for a rope wall: 9 m to 16 m.
Height for a bouldering wall: 4.00 m or 4.50 m above the 40 cm mat landing surface (EN 12572-2:2017).
Number of holds: 12/m2 to create 4 coloured tracks per route and 1 macro every 1.50 m2.
Support: can be attached to any support: concrete, cinder block, glued laminated timber, metal frame or free standing
Reception floor: crash pad, permanent landing mat and or cushioned flooring.
Safety: Auto-belay systems for solo activity.
Other equipment / comfort: minimum lighting intensity = 300 lux, uniform / heating and ventilation temperature: 14°C (hot air must not accumulate at the top of the climbing wall).
Don’t forget changing rooms, relaxation area and food services.
Provide a dedicated area for groups (a room within the gym), a bouldering wall in addition to the rope wall, and a children’s area especially for birthdays.
Provide a bar/restaurant area.
The circulation and pathways from one area to another, especially for the bouldering area, should be studied carefully.
Identify coloured routes by difficulty level.
- yellow for beginner routes – level 3 (inclined surface)
- grey for beginner routes – level 4a (inclined or vertical surface)
- red for beginner routes – level 4b (vertical surface)
- pink for beginner routes – level 4c (vertical surface)
- green for intermediate routes – level 5a (vertical surface
- orange for intermediate routes – level 5b (inclined surface)
- blue for advanced routes – level 5c (inclined surface)
- purple for advanced routes – level 6a (inclined surface)
- black for expert routes – level 6b / 6c and 7a (inclined surface)
The routes must be regularly changed to keep the climbing gym interesting.